Life Sciences Research for Lifelong Health

Downing College, Cambridge Unversity, taken by Jayeta Saxena

Apply via the Doctoral Training Programme

Candidates are invited to apply via the DTP website.  This will direct you to the online application (GRADSAF), including full instructions.  See also Admission to the University of Cambridge.  Please note that each online application will incur a fee.

Application Process for the DTP Programme

The first year involves a structured programme of tailored training courses and two laboratory rotations before progression to the three-year PhD project which can be carried out at the Babraham Institute. An essential element of the programme is a three month internship which is held outside the laboratory.

UK and EU students who meet the UK residency requirements will be eligible for a full studentship. Students from EU countries who do not meet the residency requirements may still be eligible for a fees-only award. Further information about eligibility for BBSRC funding can be found at the following website:

We encourage students who are interested in a research area that is eligible for BBSRC funding to apply for the DTP programme.

If students are not successful in their application for the DTP programme they could still be considered for specific projects funded by Trusts (EU) or CHESS (UK or EU).

General advice

Before you complete a GRADSAF Application, check your elegibility and the following:​
  • These funding competitions have very early deadlines
  • Each application made using a GRADSAF may incur a fee
  • The Babraham Institute only runs a PhD programme (code: NUAN22).
We do not run a specific Masters programme. 


Students should apply for admission to the University using the University’s online GRADSAF (Graduate Admission and Scholarship Application Form) if they:

  • have been awarded funding from one of our Departmental Training Grants 
  • or have secured Institute sponsorship to apply to University-wide funding competitions (e.g. Gates, Cambridge Overseas & Commonwealth trusts, Cambridge Home and EU Scholarships etc
  • or have secured Institute sponsorship to apply for a College studentship

  • or have an agreed research place at the Institute funded by an external scholarship or private funding