Liquid chromatography hyphenated to high resolution /high accuracy mass spectrometry for untargeted lipidomics:
- Thermo Orbitrap Elite hyphenated with Shimadzu UPLC
- Thermo Orbitrap Velos hyphenated with Waters LC System
These are used for untargeted Liquid Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS): Lipid classes can be separated by normal phase LC based upon head group polarity or by acyl chain length by reverse phase chromatography. This orthogonal approach also relies on the accuracy of the mass spectrometer (< 10 ppm), which corresponds to predict the exact elemental composition of the lipids up to the third decimal place.
Liquid chromatography or gas chromatography hyphenated to triple quadrupole mass spectrometers for targeted lipidomics:
- AB Sciex 6500 QTRAP hyphenated with Shimadzu Prominence HPLC
- AB Sciex 4000 QTRAP hyphenated with Waters LC System (Booked from Biological Chemistry facility)
- Thermo TSQ Quantum GC-MS/MS system (shared with Biological Chemistry facility)
These can be used for targeted Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS): Chromatographic separation (normal and reverse phase) coupled with tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS) is applied to low abundant lipid species involved in cell signalling process.
Shotgun throughput lipidomics analysis:
- Advion NanoMate
Lipid extracts are diluted in a mass spectrometry-compatible solvent, directly infused into one of the Orbitrap instruments listed above via the NanoMate. This approach can be used for high throughput analysis of the major lipids for large number samples.