I am a PhD candidate in the Turner lab. We are interested in searching for novel small open reading frames (smORFs) and smORFencoded bioactive polypeptides in the immune system. We are building a computational pipeline to detect smORFs using NGS technology (e.g. ribosome profiling and RNAseq).
Previously I worked as a bioinformatics developer in the Micklem lab (http://www.micklemlab.org) in the Department of Genetics Cambridge, and was involved in InterMine (http://intermine.org/) project and modENCODE (http://www.modencode.org/) project.
fterwards, I moved to the Ouwehand lab in the Platelet Biology Group, Department of Haematology Cambridge as a bioinformatician. I was involved in Genomics England 100,000 Genomes Project for which we developed a NGS pipeline to process whole genome sequncing data and ThromboGenomics project as the main bioinformatics analyst.
I am interested in bioinformatics and statistical learning. I hold a MSc in Machine Learning and Bioinformatics from the University of Edinburgh.
1. Simeoni, Ilenia, Jonathan C. Stephens, Fengyuan Hu , Sri V. V. Deevi, Karyn Megy et al
A comprehensive high throughput sequencing test for the diagnosis of inherited bleeding, thrombotic and platelet disorders.
Blood 10.1182/blood-2015-12-688267 (2016)
2. Jänes, Jürgen*, Fengyuan Hu *, Alexandra Lewin, and Ernest Turro.
A comparative study of RNAseq analysis strategies.
Briefings in bioinformatics 16, no. 6 (2015): 932940.
3. Kalderimis, Alex, Rachel Lyne, Daniela Butano, Sergio Contrino, Mike Lyne, Joshua Heimbach, Fengyuan Hu et al
InterMine: extensive web services for modern biology.
Nucleic acids research (2014): gku301.
4. Lyne, Mike, Richard N. Smith, Rachel Lyne, Jelena Aleksic, Fengyuan Hu , Alex Kalderimis, Radek Stepan, and Gos Micklem.
metabolicMine: an integrated genomics, genetics and proteomics data warehouse for common metabolic disease research.
Database 2013 (2013): bat060.
5. Smith, Richard N., Jelena Aleksic, Daniela Butano, Adrian Carr, Sergio Contrino, Fengyuan Hu , Mike Lyne et al
InterMine: a flexible data warehouse system for the integration and analysis of heterogeneous biological data.
Bioinformatics 28, no. 23 (2012): 31633165.
6. Nikerel, Emrah, Jan Berkhout, Fengyuan Hu , Bas Teusink, Marcel JT Reinders, and Dick De Ridder.
Understanding regulation of metabolism through feasibility analysis.
PLoS ONE 7, no. 7 (2012): e39396.
7. Contrino, Sergio, Richard N. Smith, Daniela Butano, Adrian Carr, Fengyuan Hu , Rachel Lyne, Kim Rutherford et al
modMine: flexible access to modENCODE data.
Nucleic acids research 40, no. D1 (2012): D1082D1088.